Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Coaxing Truth From a Negro

Get the level out.

Is Alton Brown a psychiatrist or a psychologist, or neither? I don't know the difference to this very day.

But any man who can manipulate a fried chicken expert to profess his talent is owed to the good God Almighty the way Alton does has got talent.

And taste.

Although I am a vegetarian, I still appreciate a fine fried chicken skin (albeit second-hand), and if I were eating meat, I would demand nothing less than food from a black cook's kitchen.

That's just the way it is.

When I was growing up my parents would take me to Greenville, Mississippi to eat at Doe’s Eat Place for steak, tamales, salad (I'd pick off the anchovy, place it on a cracker and eat all the way around it), and a lollypop for dessert, and I always swore, the food was only good because of the sweat of black folks in the kitchen.

The best part was when we got to eat at the "family table" in the kitchen when the white women had no problems with coming over to swat flies on your table prior to serving your meal. The black women would just flash bright white smiles while cooking up a feast.

No comments: