Tuesday, June 01, 2010

How 'Bout That Projection System!


Well done, Sabrina!

Icanhasinternets has a list up with 25 Horribly Sexist Ads. I'm not sure I would categorize the Sabrina ad as "horribly" sexist. And I'll confess: it took me about 5 or 6 seconds to get the "joke" because my gay eyes didn't zoom instantly to her perky breasts. I just saw a woman and proceeded to read the text, expecting to find blatant sexism there. And when it finally hit me, I laughed. So sue me.

But any of you would have to admit it's more humorous than most of the others. Some of them are truly horrible, even disgusting. This one actually makes me angry.



"Woe be unto you!"??? What the fuck?

As I stare at this, I just want to see her get up and smack that asshole in the back of the head with the heel of her shoe. Several times. And being vintage doesn't cut this ad any slack whatsoever.

I wonder if the man or men who created this ad were amused with their "creative brilliance," chortling and backslapping each other for a job well done. I wonder if this was common behavior in their own homes, to treat their wives like dogs who peed on the new carpet.

Everything about this ad creeps me the hell out, right down to the dude's suspenders and argyle socks. Bleahh. I think I'm most bothered because this attitude and behavior isn't vintage. Domestic violence is an ongoing daily problem.

Check out the rest of the 25 Horribly Sexist Vintage Ads if you feel so inclined.

At least Sabrina genuinely seemed to enjoy her work.



No comments: