Sunday, July 18, 2010

Read the Manual

I was being ridiculed this weekend by txrad because I had not read through the short little manual which came with my new iPad. He asked me what the warranty was and I had no idea.

All of the good user information is online so there really isn't much need to read what came with it. The Information Guide certainly would not have prevented me from spending hours on the phone with tech support to address the issue of why my iPad wasn't connecting to the internet.

However, I did read through it last night and I'm glad I did because there are some tips on handling the iPad, things to avoid, etc., which never would have crossed my mind.

Do not drop, disassemble, open, crush, bend, deform, puncture, shred, microwave, incinerate, paint, or insert foreign objects into iPad.

Whew! You know, as soon as I was done reading the New York Times on it, I absolutely would have dropped it into the paper shredder for the compost pile without even thinking! Still not sure why it's a bad idea to paint it a different color though. It would cut down on the screen glare.

Check and obey the laws and regulations on the use of mobile devices like iPad in the areas where you live or drive.


And if there's no law against it, well then, it must be fine to steer the car with your knees while composing an email on the iPad. Just be careful, OK?

Oh, wait, they must be referring to usage of the iPad as a music device. They do address email in the next paragraph.

Do not email, take notes, look up phone numbers, or perform any other activities that require your attention while driving.

Pity all the others who didn't bother to read the handy Information Guide. How will they know what to do and what not to do?

It has maps on it! Surely it must be OK to use it while driving to refer to maps!

No comments: