Saturday, July 18, 2009

Please, Can I Touch It?

Some of you may remember when I canceled my subscription to the New York Times a few months ago. It felt strange for the first 2 or 3 days not having a reason to walk out to the street to fetch it.

The biggest adjustment has actually been walking into the office with my morning coffee, eyes still blurry from sleep, and trying to acclimate myself to a bright computer monitor as opposed to a printed page.

But in terms of having a physical printed paper in my home every morning, I honestly haven't looked back with regret. I even got a letter from the Times this week with a half-price renewal offer for six months which was printed on the outside of the envelope. I did not even open it.

This afternoon we stopped at the supermarket for a few things and I happened to walk by a rack in the store and my eyes were drawn to a copy of today's New York Times for sale. It was folded all neatly and crisply. practically begging for that virgin ink & paper to have contact with my hands. I wanted to stop and just caress it for a second, but I kept walking.





No comments: