Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Slurring on the Radio

The only thing that surprises me about learning of an AM radio talk show host using the word "wetback" is that it happened in Austin, Texas. Honestly, is this guy so stupid that he didn't expect a backlash in the Berkeley of Texas, ground-zero for liberal progressives in Texas? Not to mention, home to a huge wetback Hispanic population.

If I hadn't done that strike-thru it would have been funny right? Like sarcasm and satire?
"I frequently use sarcasm and satire in my humor," Pryor told listeners this morning. "The first mistake I made is using the term. It's a highly offensive and outdated term that should never be used."

I have never heard this guy's show. I'm not exactly what you'd call a fan of talk radio. But if it's like any of the other AM talk radio formats, real humor isn't even in the equation.

It would have been interesting if the article had included some lengthy quotes so we could have heard the humor, satire, and sarcasm in the proper context.
Pryor began using the word during a discussion about the terminology used to describe people who are in the country illegally.

"Whatever happened to the good old word 'wetback' "? he asked.

[...]

Later during the discussion, Pryor said he was merely trying to come up "with a more efficient way of saying it, that's all, and just bring back a little of good ol' classic Americana."

Oh, right. Like redneck Americana? Like 1950s Lynch a Negro for Jesus Americana?

I don't care if these people have issues with illegal immigration; many people do. But if you can't maintain a little self-control on the air, and behave like a mature adult without resorting to speech which fans the flames, then you really don't have much to say. Nothing at all, in fact.

Nor do you understand very much about sarcasm, satire, and humor. But thanks for reminding me why I avoid talk radio.

No comments: