Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Getting Old Is a Bitch

I have a boss roughly my age. We all went out for lunch this week and the place we went to was a beach/skateboard themed fish taco hut in downtown Austin, Texas. But it was a gray misty day and it could have easily passed for a foggy Malibu or Santa Monica locale. They were playing hits and one-hit-wonders from the 70s and 80s.

We had a nice conversation and my assistant mentioned that he was born in 1983 and I blurted out that I was living in London in 1983! My boss then asked me all kinds of questions about living in London. I gave out a lot of info which is really not relevant to this post.

Right before we got up to leave, I heard this song over the sound system, and my boss reeled off the year it came out. 1982 or some such shit.

I couldn't remember who it was and it was driving me crazy. Finally as we were walking out the door, I said to my boss, "That was Billy Squier, wasn't it?" And she said yes.

And then I started thinking, I have all this music shit in common with my boss, and during the course of our lunch conversation, I learned that she is 43. Let's do the math. I'm 47. When I was a senior in high school, if she'd been going to the same school, I wouldn't have know who the fuck she was.

And now, she's not just my boss. She's actually the boss of MY boss. What's wrong with this picture?

So I said to her, "Yeah, he was one of those one hit wonders." And she said, "Well, two actually."

What was the other hit? Please tell me.

Meanwhile, when I said she was the boss of MY boss, let me tell you about MY boss.

txrad has the same boss and he just asked me, "is she senile?"

I replied, "No, She has Age of Aquarious syndrome."



Getting old in the workplace is such a joy to behold. I think I'm going to have a stroke.



No comments: