Saturday, November 08, 2008

The More Things Change....

I don't mean to suggest I'm giving up already because I'm clearly not, and it's way too soon for that. In fact, I still can't quite believe Barack Obama is indeed the President-elect. It's like a strange dream and I keep thinking I will wake up one morning and find McCain and Palin decorating the Oval Office.

However, some of Obama's possible cabinet picks aren't exactly eliciting a big Wooooo-hoooo from me, at least he comes across as deliberate and serious about tackling our problems by selecting experience. It does beg the question: If this is the Obama cabinet, what would Hillary's have been?

Robert Byrd stepping down from the Appropriations Committee is definitely a winner. Byrd will be turning 91 this month. At the risk of sounding ageist, that's pushing things, in my opinion. I hope like hell I'm not still working at 67 and I'm not sure what drives some politicians to plow on past 75. But check this out:
Mr. Byrd said that the time had come for new leadership, and that he would turn over the reins of the Appropriations Committee to Senator Daniel K. Inouye of Hawaii, who is next in line and who turned 84 in September. Mr. Byrd will remain a member of the committee and will continue to serve as the Senate’s president pro tempore.

There are still plenty of reasons to be excited and some things are most definitely changing for the better.
The Obama-Biden Transition Project does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by law.

No comments: