Sunday, October 22, 2006

Update on the Christian Music Festival in Austin

Remember this piece about the Power of the Cross music festival? The organizer who cashed out his assets to fund the $100,000 venture was hoping for 40,000 attendees at yesterday's festival. Part of his optimism which I noted in my post was due to an estimated 50,000 people expected to appear at today's Rolling Stones concert.

Sad. 40,000 did not show up. 20,000 didn't show up. Not even 10,000. How many you ask?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
credit: Laura Skelding - AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Try
several hundred. And the event was FREE.

I wonder if there were enough pink porta-potties to handle the masses.

For Executive Director Jim Butt, the concert is something that "should have happened a long time ago."

Butt, who became a Christian in 2003, said he put everything he had on the line to put the event together.

"I've given everything I own, quit my job and live on my 401(k) to do this," he said. "A year and a half ago, I didn't know anything about music or putting festivals together, but God dragged me into it."

I hope he got his money's worth.

No comments: