Saturday, February 17, 2007

Freedom to Marry Celebration in Austin



txrad and I attended the Freedom to Marry Week Celebration in front of Austin City Hall this afternoon. It was a beautiful day for several dozen couples to take commitment vows in the plaza.


The woman performing the group ceremony made the comment that she is legally able to perform marriages but is not permitted to get married to her own partner. Now that's justice in America!


There was also a wedding cake. I tried to get a picture of the cake but my camera strap obscured the shot. The sun was so bright I didn't notice until I got home.

There were several speakers before the Austin City Council member Brewster McCrackin spoke briefly, with his 2-year-old son in tow, to a crowd numbering at least 200 -- based on my totally unscientific guesstimate.



Also speaking were Alyson (left) and Heidi, pictured below. They were briefly legally married in San Francisco before the validity of those marriages were tossed out. They reaffirmed their commitment vows in today's ceremony.



Heidi comments over at Pam's House Blend and both of them were familiar with my blog so it was fun to surprise them.

The event was very casual and relaxed. The absence of protesters was just an extra perk.

No comments: