Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Shakes is Out of the Edwards Campaign

I read in the New York Times this morning that Amanda of Pandagon (the site is currently down due to unnatural causes) had resigned from the Edwards campaign so I was not the least bit surprised to read this afternoon that Melissa of Shakespeare’s Sister had done the same.

Politics is nasty. I learned this at the tender age of 12 when I was solicited by a kind woman working for a mayoral candidate in my small hometown. I was offered $5.00 to go door to door in a neighborhood and hand out flyers. This was not even something I was eager to do but five bucks was five bucks.

It just so happened the neighborhood I was assigned to was where my cousin lived. My aunt was a teacher in the public school and her boss was also running for mayor. I'll never forget the scorn I received from my cousin when he saw me going door to door campaigning for "the other side."

I felt really bad for even getting involved. Sometimes I think the best approach for us all, as bloggers, is to remain true to ourselves, and influential from the outside. Unless of course the candidate for whom we are campaigning is a radical of our equal. And sadly, I don't think such a candidate exists yet.

I understand that there will be progressive bloggers who feel I am making the wrong decision, and I offer my sincerest apologies to them. One of the hardest parts of this decision was feeling as though I'm letting down my peers, who have been so supportive.

If progressive bloggers feel she is making the wrong decision, then they are not truly progressive bloggers.

And the folks who issued threats to both Melissa and Amanda, whether serious or not, are about the most un-American group of malcontent fuckers imaginable. Not only are they immature and devoid of understanding and compassion, they are clearly against the freedoms which we have all been blessed by the founding fathers. They are in the same league as the terrorists against whom we are supposedly fighting overseas.

If such people on our shores think they have scored any victory as a result of this, think again. You've got another thing coming.




We will never be silenced by the true enemy.

No comments: