Saturday, November 24, 2007

Black Friday Absurdity - Part 4: Epilogue

I really had no intention of doing a part 4 and I'm sorry in advance for inflicting another one on my readers, but something in the New York Times this morning got me wound up yet again. This is absurd.
In Columbus, Ohio, Theresa Johnston, a 47-year-old social worker, was shopping at the Big Lots discount chain — because she had to, not because she wanted to.

“It’s a little embarrassing, actually. I don’t like to be seen here,” she said, planning to buy a set of 42 knives for $35.

Like thousands of Americans, Ms. Johnston has an adjustable-rate mortgage, and her rising payments have stolen from her holiday spending budget. “Before this, I shopped mostly at Macy’s and some at J. C. Penney, so shopping at Big Lots is, like, two big steps down for me,” she said. “This is going to be a hard Christmas.”

Oh boo fucking hoo. First of all, did Bush sign a law this year that mandates shopping? She "had to?" And what kind of person is embarrassed to be seen in a Big Lots? And what kind of knife set is she getting for $35 that has FORTY-TWO knives? Does she know how to spell the word quality?

By the way, I hate Macys. I don't like to be seen there. Especially after they gobbled up Marshall Fields in Chicago. Many people in Chicago feel the same, so this little blurb comes as no surprise:
A clerk at the Macy’s in the Westfield Old Orchard shopping center outside Chicago described the number of shoppers as no greater than a normal weekend morning.

No comments: