Friday, November 09, 2007

Rickie Lee Jones Lets One Rip

About two weeks ago I clipped a card out of the New York Times offering 25 free music downloads from emusic.

Last weekend I registered to get my free tunes. Obviously, it required a credit card so they could route me to a fee-based program after my trial period ended. I must admit after poking around I wasn't impressed. Many albums I wanted I couldn't find. Many artists I searched only seemed to be available on some type of compilation disc. That ain't konacool.

So I decided to find 25 songs I wanted and get the hell out. I selected Rickie Lee Jones' latest, Sermon on Exposition Boulevard, and Joni Mitchell's Shine. I had 2 songs left and I picked some single or EP thing from the Arcade Fire which had 2 songs on it.

I got all this for free. And then I cancelled my account. I'd call that a bargain, the best I ever had.

Good shit!



Last weekend I uploaded all the new goods to my Zen player and at work today I decided to give ole' Rickie a listen. I really haven't heard any of her stuff since "Chuck E.'s In Love" made a splash off her 1978 self-titled LP.

Right off the bat with "Nobody Knows My Name", I was intrigued. By the time the 2nd track, "Gethsemane" began to play, I had a feeling I might be hooked.

I'm not going to publicly draw comparisons between this album and so many other artists I appreciate... at least not yet. I never like to do that because I don't want to spoil any surprises for others. Draw what you will from this.

I will not call this a flawless piece of work. I've only listened to it once, and I felt there was a lull about two-thirds of the way through the album but it soon revived itself. It's unfortunate that I was listening at the office because I had to pause a few times and maybe that lull was a result of losing the momentum.

Once I listen to this a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time I'll have a clearer assessment.
Lots of creative sparks here--plenty of them. She sounds like she's going through a transformation throughout the album in a way that's reminiscent of Van Morrison's performances on his classic album Astral Weeks." -- Amazon.com


There's a major spiritual thread running through this music, which was one of the few things I'd heard about the album before listening to it. I wasn't sure what to expect. I sure didn't want to be subjected any kind of weird proselytizing, or hearing all about how wonderful Jesus is.

I'm very glad I didn't allow my preconceived notions to interfere with my inquisitiveness. Otherwise, I would have missed out on something I think I'm going to enjoy.




Happy Friday

Crossposted at Big Brass Blog

No comments: