Saturday, October 29, 2011

What A Difference 25 Years Makes

I finally got to spend some quality time today at End of an Ear -- an Austin record store on quirky South First street in Austin. This was probably the first time I've had 90 minutes to spend in a record store with vinyl since I came back from London in 1984.

I worked in a record store in London, but on the 3rd floor where they sold VHS/Betamax movies, and an embarrassingly limited CD selection by today's standards. I started buying CDs there even before I had my first CD player. I was ready to catch the next wave.

For the past 25 years I rode this pathetic wave until fairly recently when I realized vinyl is still being issued. It's official. I hate CDs. I may never buy another. I will keep what I've got though. It's not bad. It's just not....vinyl..

Today's purchase: Public Enemy - "Fear of a Black Planet" and a Phoenix LP.

I kept waiting for Jack Black to walk out of High Fidelity and tell me something else I should buy.

No comments: