Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 Year-End Meme

I've decided memes are the #1 reason I don't get anything else done. Thanks, Toast.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before? Worked for a REAL advertising agency.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? No and yes. The easiest one is to do more cooking and get some variety going in the kitchen. I tend to get in a tight rut with my meals.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No. Not unless you can count Molly Ivins as close.

5. What places did you visit? I honestly don't think I left Austin all year.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? A steady job would be nice and a debt-free life.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Not much. I guess December 21st, the day I lost my job.

8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year? Getting a job in January.

9. What was your biggest failure? Probably not consulting with a lawyer at least 9 months ago.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Just the usual intoxication stuff: falling down mainly with minor scrapes and bruises.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Carpet and paint.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Someone somewhere must have done something to merit it because I think I celebrated every day of the year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mike Huckabee.

14. Where did most of your money go? Federal taxes, followed closely by the mortgage payment, with booze a distant third..

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Getting most of the rooms painted and new carpet installed.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007? "Icky Thump."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? about the same.
c) richer or poorer? Richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Home improvements and yard work.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Drinking and smoking.

20. How did you spend Christmas last year? Just like every year. Went out for Indian food and then took a nap.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? No, but I fell in a bar.

22. How many one-night stands? 348. Jesus. No, ZERO.

23. What was your favorite TV program? Little People Big World.

24. What did you do for your birthday in 2007? Sat home alone while txrad worked --and it was a Sunday. I made a video for my blog.

25. What was the best book you read? The only book I read: Who Hates Whom.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Ruthie Foster

27. What did you want and get? A nice sum of money in the bank account to keep me able to function while unemployed for awhile.

28. What did you want and not get? Some acreage.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? I'm always a year or two behind on films. I am not sure if I saw a film in 2007 that was released in 2007.

30. Did you make some new friends this year? Bunches of them at work, but I'll probably never see most of them again.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having the money I have saved AND still having my job in 2008.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Austinesque hippie slacker.

33. What kept you sane? My job kept my mind off a lot of other problems.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Maybe Kathy Griffin. I know she probably made me laugh harder than anyone else in 2007.

35. What political issue stirred you the most? Politics stirs me. Period.

36. Who did you miss? My purveyor of the best pot money could buy.

37. Who was the best new person you met? Karen at work. She was fun to chat with neither of us were ever at a loss for words.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007. Never bank on anything to be stable. Never try to hide from reality and personal responsibility. In business, never trust anybody.

Tagged: The first five people who read this.

No comments: