Saturday, June 14, 2008

2,100 Turned Out for Loretta

And I could have been #2,101. Sigh.

I'll have to live vicariously through Michael Corcoran's review at statesman.com today:
You paid to get Lo-retty and you got Lo-retty; in a blue sequined gown with her hair piled high, she was still the “Blue Kentucky Girl” from Appalachia whose favorite adjective is dadgum. “Whatever you want to hear, Just holler it out,” she said between songs, though you can be fairly certain the set list, including an ironic pairing of “One’s On the Way” and “The Pill,” was carved on a stone tablet. (I could be mistaken because I disliked the record and never played it again, but she didn’t do a single number from the Jack White-produced “Van Lear Rose.”)

Honestly, that would have been something of a let-down for me. I loved "Van Lear Rose." And like it or not, the least the reviewer could have done is listen to it 2 or 3 times before making such a rash judgment. But there's nothing wrong with a night of old classics, that's for sure.
Drawing more of her audience from the gay pride rally-ers in town than all the bikers (who combined to make Austin the leather chaps capital of the universe this weekend), Lynn’s show had more padding than a drag show.

Gee, I missed not just one show, but two!

No comments: