Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Winter is Coming

When I was in my 20s I loved winter and snow. It was my favorite season. I lived in Los Angeles during most of my 30s and that may have been my turning point. I am so cold-natured now that I can have chills when it's 78 just because I know it's not summer.

Yesterday in Austin was lovely with a high of 83. Today we are struggling to surpass 60 and it's cloudy, a little breezy and just dreary. I don't like it and the worst is yet to come. Sure, there will be plenty of days throughout the winter months when it's in the 70s, and a few in the 80s. We could even pass 90 in February so why am I complaining?

Here's why. When the temperature reaches the 80s here this time of year it's a warning sign that something is about to change. In other words, enjoy it while it lasts because the next couple of days could bring 40s at night. It will seem like an eternity until all danger of frost has passed. As we move into January and February the contrasts get more pronounced.

The newspaper carries yearly temperature extremes on the weather page which I always enjoy reading after they reset on January 1. For the next 6 weeks or so after that it's a roller coaster. It's not at all unusual to see a high in the mid-80s and a low in the high teens or 20s within the span of a week or two.

Nevertheless, I count my blessings. There are plenty of places out there without the benefit of an 85-degree winter day. And there's plenty of folks out there who would think our weather here today
is nice. I'm just not one of them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: