Saturday, August 28, 2010

kona's saturday night austin tour, but first : Quirky Question of the Day

I know all of you have some weird quirks or you wouldn't be coming anywhere near this blog. So I have a question for you:

What common thing or occurrence can you simply not stand?


This can't be something like fingernails on a chalk board because that bothers a lot of people; it has to be something rather unique to yourself that hardly anyone else would understand the aversion.

For me, I can't stand hearing an audience on an audio recording. It almost completely ruins a recorded event for me if the performer does any type of interaction with the crowd during a recording, and the louder the response from the crowd, whether they are laughing or cheering, the more I cringe up in a knot.

I've never been much of a fan of live musical recordings either. During my youth I accidentally purchased a few by accident, not realizing they were live recordings. Once in a while, a band would sneak one song in on me on a studio album.

Back in the 80s when I lived in London, I purchased a cassette tape of a comedy routine recorded by Dudley Moore and Peter Cook, and while I enjoyed it the first time around, I never had any interest in listening to it again, because I don't really like being spoken to, or read to, in an audio recording. NO TALKING BOOKS IN MY HOUSE! (But if you are into that kind of thing, and don't mind off-color vile humor, get it! It's great!)

But I have absolutely no problem with live video recordings of anything and can watching them over and over. Maybe with any spoken word, or audience involvement, I need to see faces and facial expressions, whereas music recorded in a studio transcends the person(s) involved.

txrad likes Prairie Home Companion on NPR. Needless to say, I detest it. But DJs talking don't bother me, as long as they keep it relevant, nor do on-air radio interviews disturb me in the least. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I'm being spoken to, but rather that I'm eavesdropping.

There's a fine line in there somewhere.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled Saturday night programming.

Let's go to P3:

No comments: