Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We're Killing a Harmless Snake

A few years ago I saw a snake in the backyard. It was something I'd never seen before, definitely not the harmless thin garter snake. This one wasn't particularly pretty and it was fat. It was coiled. And it hissed a lot.

The cats seemed intrigued and I was freaking out for their safety. Rather than take the time to consult the Snake Book, I got the hoe and dispensed with the fucker in short order, thinking it was out to get all of us.

It was a harmless hognose snake. I have never forgiven myself.

And this is what I see happening in the 2010 elections. We are all so freaked the fuck out, angry, scared, fearing the other, that we are willing to do damage to innocents, just to get the thing out of our midst, even if its intent is good, and even if it isn't being very successful at the moment.

Thus concludes today's lesson.

No comments: