Friday, January 02, 2009

Year End Meme - Two Days Late

Whatever. When Toast nags I must be in meme compliance, even if my year in review seems rather bland.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Took my partner to the ER for brain scans.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never keep them. This marks year #3 of resolving to learn Spanish. And that reminds me, I haven't flossed in awhile.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I guess that would depend on the definition of close. I'm sure a few people I was in close proximity to at the supermarket or restaurants probably gave birth at some point.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I recall.

5. What places did you visit?
Arkansas in January. Aside from that I don't think I've left Travis County.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
The same job for an entire year.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Election day. Why ask why? It was a breath of fresh air after 8 years of choking on a political stench.

8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
I suppose finally achieving employment with a rate of pay which allows me to survive. That, and a few nifty spreadsheets.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Being lazy and procrastinating on a number of things. And making a colossal mistake which resulted in my response to the first question.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No illness. Just some slight bruising here and there from stumbling into furniture, or sleeping on a bed of rocks.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Travertine flooring.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I celebrate any behavior really.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
All of those folks in and around the White House.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Home improvements: new roof, new windows, new paint, new floors. And some of it just simply evaporated in the market.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Casting my vote FOR Obama. And the floors.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Honestly I don't care if I am reminded of 2008. I am content to just let that one fade. "Old Enough" by the Raconteurs, if I must provide an answer.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder?
Sadder, but I aim to get happy. And I'm not sure if it's sadness or just anxiety.
b) thinner or fatter?
No change.
c) richer or poorer?
Poorer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Gardening and getting more done outside. The exercise alone would have been nice.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Drinking. Precisely one night's worth. And blogging while intoxicated.

20. How did you spend Christmas this year?
Sitting here reading blogs and Facebook. That night we cooked.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Try 1990.

22. How was work?
Work didn't start until May and then I quit that job in July to return to a company where I worked from 2000-2003. And while I didn't expect to really enjoy it, it has been pleasantly surprising and I am definitely challenged. Lately it's been too stressful since November. I was working here when Bush took office and apparently I'll be working here when he leaves office with a huge gap in between.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Little People, Big World or Househunters. I love real estate shows.

24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008?
I don't remember. I was unemployed but I don't even remember going out to eat.

25. What was the best book you read?
What is a book?

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I really don't think I had any great musical revelations in 2008. Nothing springs to mind.

27. What did you want and get?
A new digital camera and I have been thrilled with it.

28. What did you want and not get?
Loudspeakers for my hi-fi.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Darjeeling Limited. It's going in my classic favorites file which means I need to own a copy.

30. Did you make some new friends this year?
Just Facebook and blogging pals.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
What Toast said: Impeachment proceedings. That and some summer rains with a fantastic tomato crop.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
As few clothes as possible. I think I set a record this year for the least loads of laundry done.

33. What kept you sane?
Getting a job. And tequila sure takes the edge off that sometimes.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I really didn't pay too much attention this year. But I never tire of seeing Johnny Depp.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop 8 in California.

35a. What political issue stirred you the least?
All the ones I can't think of at the moment. High gas prices in the summer didn't have my panties in a knot.

36. Who did you miss?
George Carlin.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Didn't really meet anyone new, although I'm having a lot of fun with Tracy, Toast's wife, swapping farm animals with the Facebook MyFarm application!

38. Burn any bridges?
Been there, done that, but not in 2008, and those are mended now anyway.

39. Best new restaurant you went to?
Fire Bowl Cafe on Brodie Lane.

40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
When consuming vast quantities of alcohol it is wise to do so in the comfort of your own home or in a place where you are comfortable passing out and not feeling the need to drive home.

No comments: