Friday, January 26, 2007

Russell Simmons is a Smart Man

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one straddling the fence so far when it comes to favorites for the 2008 Democratic nomination. Obama certainly has an appealing magnetism -- and yet it's that same magnetism that causes me some alarm. Appeal and charm do not automatically earn my trust or vote.

Russell Simmons


Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons says he has yet to make a choice. But he has an idea for the perfect Democratic candidate.

"If you could take Barack Obama's image, add Hillary Clinton's money and John Edwards' voice, that would be my candidate," says Simmons, an independent who has supported both Democrats and Republicans.

He's a rock star," Simmons said in a telephone interview. But he added, "I don't know what his opinions are." Simmons says that so far, the message he prefers is Edwards' --but he's also fond of Dennis Kucinich, the liberal Ohio congressman launching his second long-shot candidacy.

Personally, what I like about Kucinich is his avoidance of all this superficial star power. Unfortunately, politics always evolves into the shallow waters of a popularity contest rather than the candidates genuine interests and concerns for our nation.

No comments: