Monday, January 29, 2007

Strange Day

I tend to forget just how strange the first day on a new job can be. Never mind the fact that when I awoke this morning I had to adhere to a strict agenda which involved driving from a rural home environment to downtown Austin. The drive normally takes about 20 minutes to cover the 12-13 miles. Not bad. I allowed myself 40 minutes just in case. I got here in about 30 with some pretty nasty traffic.

Someone forgot to mention to me that the parking garage is totally closed for construction work to add more levels. Many employees here choose to park at meters and feed the meter all day rather than park at the company-provided lots which in some cases might be far enough away from the office to require a bus ride.

Excuse me. If I'm going to drive downtown, the last thing I want to do is park and then ride a bus to my office.

------------------------------
I managed to do the above portion of this post while at work today. I had several orientations to go through. And more tomorrow. There's a part of me that says I'm too old for this shit. And another part of me says I have no choice and I must adapt. That's the part that's correct, for now at least.

I have a feeling I'm going to be getting some exercise, which is not a bad thing. I need it based on how my legs feel tonight after today's ordeal.

The worse thing about all this is getting home at night, too tired to make dinner, and knowing that it's already after 8:00; it'll be time to go to bed soon and then I get the pleasure of doing this all over again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. And the next day. That will be Friday. And I shall be rejoicing.

But, txrad is making burgers and tater tots tonight. I'm off the hook.

No comments: