Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Ergo Moment

Those who follow me on Facebook know that I was expecting delivery yesterday on my long-awaited ergonomic chair which I "built" online according to my specific needs -- headrest, adjustable arms, extra height option on the seat, etc.

The chair didn't arrive as "estimated" by Fed-Ex yesterday so I knew it would definitely be here today. It was just a question of when, and I was running to look out the window every 15 minutes or so to see if the delivery truck was here. That's how eager I have been.

My workday was comprised of a major television ad placement for September which involved a LOT of tedious data entry. I was literally so uncomfortable with my old chair in relation to my PC keyboard that I was having to get up and walk around every five minutes.

I was probably 30% done with the project when I heard the rapid knock on the door. I raced to the door expecting to sign something confirming receipt, but the delivery guy was running to his truck like he'd just planted a bomb in Baghdad. (Bad reference, I know. Sorry. It's just what sprung to mind.)




I opened the box on the patio (the chair weighs more than 60 lbs.) and removed the two pieces: the chair and the base and brought them in the kitchen. Assembly was a breeze. I simply had to slide the chair into a tube on the base and presto! Chair was ready to use. I got the various adjustments made for my comfort and back to work I went.




And wow, did I get some work done. Gone were the agonizing cries of an unpleasant work environment. Gone were the breaks every 5 minutes. With an extra 2 inches of height, I was suddenly comfortable using my keyboard and mouse. And not only was I comfortable, I was happy and ecstatic. And even volunteering to help others with the same work I'd been wondering if I would even be able to finish today. I was joking about that offer, sort of. I'd do it.

I'm not going to tell you what I paid* for this chair. Most of you would think I was nuts. But it's some of the best money I have ever spent, in my opinion. Now if I can only find a mattress equivalent to this chair, I will think I have died and gone to heaven.

*It's quite cheap if you use the rationale I used to convince myself to order it. The price works out to less than 8-cents an hour for an 8-hour day, 365 days a year, for five years which is the length of the warranty.

No comments: