Sunday, October 15, 2006

CBGB OMFUG: R.I.P.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



This is my tribute post to the New York club, CBGB OMFUG, which will close its doors on October 31, 2006 after a final performance by Patti Smith tonight, October 15. The club was a breeding ground for many bands I continue to hold in high esteem, even to this day. I'm sad I never got to visit there to pay my respects in person.

Hilly Kristal, owner and founder of CBGB, explains the name of the club:

The question most often asked of me is, "What does CBGB stand for?" I reply, "It stands for the kind of music I intended to have, but not the kind that we became famous for: COUNTRY BLUEGRASS BLUES."
The next question is always, "but what does OMFUG stand for?" and I say "That's more of what we do, It means OTHER MUSIC FOR UPLIFTING GORMANDIZERS." And what is a gormandizer? It's a voracious eater of, in this case, MUSIC.


A comical CBGB tribute video:


Disregard the smell of puke:


The Dead Boys at CBGB: 1977


Blondie at CBGB: 1977


In 1981 I spent the summer in Boston and heard a band on the radio called "Avengers." I still have two of their vinyl LPs. I was very surprised to see they performed at CBGB this summer.

Avengers Live at CBGB: September 8, 2006


Here's another nicely done tribute video to CBGB.

And another blogger with something to say at The Techsploder

No comments: