Saturday, March 10, 2007

More Than a Feeling

When I was in my teens my brother was a scoutmaster and arranged to take his troop to the Minnesota/Ontario border region in March for a week of ice camping. I was never a scout but he invited me along. It was a chance for me to blow off a week of school.

We loaded up the bus with all our supplies and left Arkansas on a cool morning for the trek north. The bus was equipped with what I would assume at the time was an 8-track tape player and one of the boys brought along the debut album from the band Boston. I'd probably heard a song or two on the radio and don't recall thinking this was anything I'd ever want to own. But after hearing it for hour after hour on a long road trip I began to appreciate what a phenomenal talent they had.

For me, this is one of those few albums that is forever linked to an unforgettable experience in my life. When I hear it I remember so many details of that week in Minnesota, and of course the hours and hours spent on the road.

Tom Scholz, guitarist/keyboardist for the band, is 60 years old today. And I had no idea he has been a vegetarian for 25 years, or that he received a Mahatma Gandhi award in 1987 for his charity work, and a Man of the Year award in 1988 from the National Hospice Organization.

“Boston,” largely recorded in Mr. Scholz’s basement, has sold more than 17 million copies in the United States.

Brad Delp, the band's lead singer was found dead at his home in New Hampshire yesterday. The cause of death is under investigation. He was 55.

No comments: