Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mexican Election Chaos

I've been following the Mexican presidential election which is reminiscent of the 2000 and 2004 US (s)elections and it's making me dizzy. Conservative candidate Felipe Calderon was leading by a thin margin after initial counts, but amid several irregularities, my candidate of choice, former mayor of Mexico City Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador demanded a recount.

I was thrilled to see results shift yetserday in favor of Obrador. However, Calderon is now back in the lead and it appears we're going to have another Bush ally at the helm of our southern neighbor. Nevertheless, Obrador pledges to challenge the results in court. We shall see. But I've learned from experience not to put too much faith in the outcome.


More here


UPDATE:
RAW STORY
has more on election ballots found in garbage dumps.

No comments: