Monday, September 21, 2009

Are You Brothers?

I suggested to txrad that he blog about this but since he doesn't have a blog, I'll volunteer.

We get this question rather frequently at various restaurants. And it's bugging the hell out of txrad to the point that he said tonight, "I want to slap the shit out of the next person who asks that."

Hmmm.

I take it a different way. We've lived together 19 years and during that time, couples start to merge. We both have long hair. (Yeah, mine is curly and his is straight.) And we both wear glasses. And we both exude a certain.. queerness maybe.

He was so taken aback by the question at a Petco awhile back that he responded, "NO, we're a couple." To which the sales clerk responded, and I'm paraphrasing, "Oh, cool."

I just don't think these people mean any wrong. Maybe they aren't projecting all possibilities, but that doesn't mean they harbor ill will.

Personally, I think it's interesting that they have enough perception to pick up on anything.

txrad countered that they probably don't ask heterosexuals that question, and I'll grant him that one.

What do you all think?

Are these people just not exposed enough to gay couples that they cannot fathom that scenario as a possibility on the front-end?

No comments: