Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Long Years

I embarked upon a day of blog silence to honor those who lost loved ones seven years ago today. I also will admit I had selfish motivations as well. I abstained from the news and remained focused on my work. I did not want to hear any politicians seizing upon the events of 9/11 for political gain.

Seven years is roughly 10% of a lifetime. And I have changed a great deal in those seven years, as has my country and the world. And not for the better.

Seven years ago I found it a joy to travel by air and seek out pleasant vacation destinations. 9/11 changed all that. Now I'd rather have shock therapy than be in an airport.

Seven years ago I still had a faint glimmer of hope that George W. Bush wouldn't turn out to be the worst fucking president I'd ever imagined, and even if he did, I knew he's be turned out to pasture after four years.

Seven years ago at this very moment, as the events of the day had only begun to sink in, I knew it was the beginning of the end of the country I loved and proudly called my home.

This is an even bigger colossal disaster than the thousands who lost their lives needlessly on this day in 2001. So while millions have spent this day mourning a tragedy in while families and friendships were torn apart, I have spent this day mourning that and a country ripped to fucking shreds during the past seven years, and trying to manage my anxiety about an election in two months which could deliver more of the same for another 10% of an average lifetime.

This is starting to concern me, for I seem to be in the minority in that regard. Again.

Somehow it seems very appropriate that the black graphic in the post below is actually a blacked-out McCain/Palin campaign photo.

No comments: