Friday, December 15, 2006

Rising IQs Trigger Vegetarian Diets

The British Medical Journal has publised a report linking a child's rising IQ to the likelihood the child will become a vegetarian. Read all about it. They should have consulted me first. I could have saved them a bit of time.

Of course, I've known this for a long time. I strongly supported Ronald Reagan's presidential campaign in 1980 when I was living on meat and potatoes. By 1982 as my IQ rose, I abandoned the Republican Party and began having cravings to move to England, which I did in 1983 for over a year.

By the mid-80s I was exploring vegetarian diets as a result of my switch to more liberal political beliefs. By 1991 after completely losing faith in the two-party system, that seemed to do the trick. I've been a vegetarian ever since.
The researchers found that 4.5 percent of participants were vegetarians. Of these, 2.5 percent were vegan, and 33.6 percent said they were vegetarian but also ate fish or chicken.

Ahh, yes, that staggeringly ignorant segment of the population which would like to believe they have high IQs, but don't. The notorious 33% who think chicken and fish are vegetables. That's always good for a laugh.

Of course, the people with the absolute highest IQs will tell you, as I'm about to, that there is no such thing as a true vegetarian.

Tonight is our pizza night. As soon as I'm done with this post, I'll be measuring flour for the dough. txrad enjoys telling me about all the grasshopper and other bug parts that must be part of the milling process in turning wheat into flour. And he should know since he grew up on a farm where wheat was grown as a chief crop. What's a wheat field without flying critters of some sort?

So while most of you are voluntary carnivores, I count myself among the 4.5% who are involuntary carnivores. The 33.6% of you who call yourselves vegetarians while eating fish and chicken, well.. you're just dumb.

No comments: