Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Carpets Confirmed (Almost)

What an ordeal.

I told my boss about my situation today with cats and Berber loop carpeting and she said she had the same in her condo with two cats and never had a problem. So problem solved. Today during our staff meeting I mentioned my good news -- that I was going with the original carpet we'd selected -- and if the cats ripped it up it was going to be her (my boss) fault. She laughed.

So, off we went to Home Depot again after work today. I had already decided I was going to do the two bedrooms, hallway, and six closets. We had no idea we had six closets, but we do, some of them are small and escape notice except when you need something from them. We're doing that area of the house in the same carpet pattern but a lighter color because the rooms are smaller than the living room.

Now comes the almost part. Because the person who did the measuring submitted a total figure for square yards for both the living room and den combined, we could not order the carpeting tonight for the living room. I specifically told her I wanted her to measure the den but I hadn't really decided yet what floor covering I want for that space. So now Home Depot has to submit it back to the contractors and they have to resubmit the square yards needed for just the living room. This information probably won't be back at Home Depot until Thursday.

The (not so) funny thing is, it's the living room that I have almost completely painted and ready to go. But I'm sure with only a 2 day lapse between orders they will still wait and bring everything at once for the installation of all rooms. That would make sense.

Now here's the kicker. Originally the woman told us it would take 3 weeks to get the carpet from the mill. Apparently she was exaggerating somewhat and it could be delivered in as little as 5-10 business days and then she tacked on a extra week to allow the installers time to schedule. So this could realistically happen as early as two weeks from now.

That does not give me much time to get the hallway, two bedrooms, and six friggin' closets painted. What it does give me is PLENTY to blog about in the next few weeks. And for that, I guess I'm thankful.

This is kind of weird because I'm exposing this entire process on my blog, and therefore, exposing it to people I don't know on six continents. Whether or not they care is another matter. Nevertheless, I'm excited. It's like getting a new house.

No comments: