Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Advertising Industry Is Fucking NVTS

NUTS I tell ya. Nuts.

I have this friend I've known 10 years. I met her when I supervised her when I first moved to Austin. We soon parted ways and she went in a new direction, but still in the industry. We have mutual friends so were able to stay in touch.

Recently after I started my new gig, I learned that she worked at a station in one of the television markets I handle San Antonio, and my sales rep and her were very good friends.

Small world.

Then, I informed the sales rep today that it was going to be a "tequila night" and I said "tell JB." Because I knew "JB" would appreciate it. I got a reply that "JB" had packed up her shit and moved to Dallas and was now working for a firm that handles television advertising sales on behalf of the stations.

I still had JB's cell phone number and, under the influence of tequila, I decided to give it a shot (no pun intended). I called her, and after an elaborate series of announcements and strange music, and thinking I was headed straight into voice mail hell, I heard this voice say, "Well, hello {konagod}!"

We had a nice chat, and after trying to exchange new contact information, we realized we were both too fucked up to transcribe anything. She was heavily working over the Crown Royal, and of course I said I had done a shot for her. She said do another and she'd do the same.

We'll do it and probably already have.

Small world.

I'm sure we'll be working together again soon.

FYI, the main reason this person is so important to me, is because she's the bitch who broke my 7-year sobriety, and started me smoking. But hey, the company we worked for then was going down the crapper fast, and we knew it.

Bitch.

Anyhow, the advertising industry is just GRAND. I love it.

No comments: