Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mixed Emotions and Cosmic Shit

I hate to keep flogging a dead horse. I mean, I have resigned from my current job and have officially accepted a much higher-paying position working from home. Why so glum?

I'm not sure. Because I was motivated by money instead of happiness? Granted, I'm not the least bit concerned that I'm going to enjoy the new job, and I'm pretty excited about some of my responsibilities I've heard about. Buying national cable TV spots ain't bad; I could do a whole lot worse.

But I'm going to be very sad when I walk away from the current joint on Wednesday. Leaving behind some wonderful and fun people. But this is a strange industry. When you hook up with people, and it's meant to be, they don't easily leave your life.

Case in point: my immediate supervisor is someone I've known for 18 years and worked with at a number of other agencies. And I'm still friends with an ex-co-worker whom I've really only known for about 18 months (but feel as though I've known her my entire life) even though we had a brief encounter at the same agency about 11 years ago, and she's from the same town in Iowa as the agency which is hiring me. And so is my current supervisor. Small industry. Cosmic shit. Whatever.

I just don't want to be making very many more bad decisions at my age.

It doesn't help that Monday, July 14 marks the 4 year anniversary of me starting my own agency. And what a colossal disaster that has turned out to be. I keep putting off the obligatory visit for legal advice on that one.

Anyhow, another chapter in my book is about to unfold, and I just want to be sure it's a good one. I've had a string of not-so-good ones lately.

Working from home with a 33% pay increase is not a bad deal though, in and of itself. The rest I'll just have to get over.

At least I'm not a redshirt.

No comments: