Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MY Top 20 Albums of All Time

Fuck these stupid music geeks and their formulas and whatever. Here are MY top 20 albums of all time, and in no certain order, because how can you identify one as being the best above all the rest?

And I will confess there are PLENTY of top-notch albums I've never heard so forgive me for excluding those.

Lastly, even with me, some of the laggards are subject to displacement as soon as I hear something better, from the future or the past.

Now that I had laid out the rules, here we go:

Black Sabbath: Paranoid
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust
Blondie: Plastic Letters
Alice Cooper: Love It to Death
The Damned: Machine Gun Etiquette
The Doors: LA Woman
Gang of Four: Entertainment.
Kate Bush: The Kick Inside
Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced
Janis Joplin: Pearl
Led Zeppelin: III
Missing Persons: Spring Session M (The drummer kicks ass)
Joni Mitchell: Ladies of the Canyon
Talking Heads: Fear of Music
The Waitresses: Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?
The Who: Who's Next
Wire: Pink Flag
Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks*
Toshiko Akiyoshi: Desert Lady/Fantasy
John Coltrane: Giant Steps
Eric Dolphy: Out to Lunch
Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
Rachelle Ferrell: First Instrument
Ella Fitzgerald: Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook


Shit, I'm up to 24 already. See how hard this is?

And the reason most of the black foks are at the end of the list is because I started with my LPs, and then the CDs on a shelf, and finally with the jazz CDs on a rack.

Honestly, I'd put that Ella CD right up there at the top. And I didn't even include Billie Holiday. She needs to be in there.

Why the FUCK wasn't the Who included in that earlier top 20? Bogus fucks.



*Pick your own favorite Dylan; I won't argue.

No comments: